Composites engineering for younger students, educators, and hobbyists through exciting projects
Coming April 2018
The book is intended for educators, middle and high schools, community colleges, engineering students, hobbyists and anyone interested in space-age materials for daily use. The book is written by Uday Vaidya.
- Introduction to plastics and composites – Basic introduction to the make-up and chemistry of plastics, their composition and basics of fiber reinforced plastics.
- Plastics, polymers and resins – Classes of commodity and engineered resins such as epoxy, polyester, polypropylene etc. Basic chemistry and properties. Guidelines on use of these resins for different applications.
- Fibers and reinforcements – Classes and types of fibers available for e.g. chopped strand, mats, continuous tapes, woven fabric etc.
- Fabrication methods for plastics and composites – Basics fabrication approaches that will be used for the projects. These will include hand lay-up, bag molding, oven cure, autoclave, injection molding etc.
Education and Hands-on Projects
Hands-on exciting educational projects that introduce students / users to a wide range of composites in sporting goods, cars, watercrafts, aircraft, rockets, military, buildings and bridges are included.
- Composite skateboard, surfboard, and snowboard – The design and step by step illustration of the construction of skateboard, surfboard and snowboard decks, types of fiber arrangements, layup and bagging, and assembly. Basic theory such as bending of a beam to calculate deflection and stress for a given load.
- *Composite baseball bat: The design and step by step illustration of the construction of a composite braided fiber baseball bat, types of fiber braids, shrink wrap bagging, weight balance, finishing – caps and handle. Basic physics of baseball bat, wood versus composite bats, trampoline effect, calculations of hit distance.
- Composite pool cue: The design and step by step illustration of the construction of composite pool cue by fiber layup, bagging and centerless grinding. Finishing by capping and handle tape assembly.
- Composites for cars: Design and step by step illustration of the construction of a car hood, tailgate, racing car crash panels and floor. Advanced energy-absorbing fibers, sandwich cores and fabrication methods will be explained. Simple cost-effective tooling approaches will be discussed.
- Composite motorbike and bicycle parts: Carbon fiber intensive parts such as fairings, guards, handle aids and covers used on a motorbike and high-end bicycles will be explained. The general design and construction approach for these parts with mats and continuous fibers will be explained.
- Composite aircraft wing: The design and step by step illustration of the construction of foam/fiberglass wing hot-wire cutting, layup and bagging and assembly. Basics of aerofoil shape, terminologies such as thrust, drag, weight, spar etc will be explained.
- Composite boat, canoe and jet ski: Design and step by step illustration of construction of a scaled boat, canoe or jet ski. Working with sandwich core such as foam and balsa wood, fiberglass and carbon fiber skins, resin infusion and assembly of motor and propeller.
- Composite rocket: The design and step by step illustration of construction of a rocket tube and fins made of braided fiber, types of fiber braids, shrink wrap bagging, assembly of fins, chute and engine. Basic physics of rocket flight, calculations of height, trajectory, weight etc.
- Composite ballistic panel and helmet: The design and step by step illustration of construction of composite panel(s) and helmets that can resist blunt impact and bullet impact. Testing methods of panels and helmet. Basic physics of energy absorption, penetration, and ballistic material.
- Composites for home projects – kitchen counter and furniture: Design and step by step illustration for construction of a home kitchen counter with sandwich materials and cosmetic resins will be explained.
- Composite pedestrian bridge: Design and step by step illustration of the construction of a sandwich composite bridge deck in a pedestrian bridge. Working with sandwich composites, inserts, fitment and assembly, load testing and validation steps will be discussed.
- Composites for hurricane and storm protection: Use and construction of composite covers and retrofits for windows, walls and outdoor items safe during a hurricane or storm will be explained. This project can be a do-it-yourself or team effort.
- Nanomaterials and emerging products: The growing use of nanotubes, nanoclays, nanoplatelets and nanofibers in a number of functional and structural applications will be explained. Applications in electronics, electrical, coloring, cosmetics, fashion and other applications will be illustrated. Step by step hands on lab-friendly projects with nanomaterials will be included.
- Recycled plastics, green and sustainable materials applications: Design and processing of recycled PET bottles, landfill waste, edge trims, carpet liners and other waste materials will be discussed. Applications for sound absorption, packaging, transport liners, insulation products etc. will be explained. Example carbon footprint calculations and energy savings will be explained.
- Introduction to plastics and composites
- Plastics, polymers and resins
- Fibers and reinforcements
- Fabrication methods for plastics and composites
Education and Hands-on Projects
- Composite skateboard, surfboard and snow board
- Composite aircraft wing
- Composite rocket
- Composite baseball bat and helmet
- Composite ballistic panel
- Composite pool cue stick
- Composite boat hulls, canoe and jet ski
- Composite automotive hood, tailgate and roof
- Additive tooling for automotive and aircraft parts
- Composites for racing car
- Composites for home projects – kitchen counter and furniture
- Composite motorbike and bicycle parts
- Composite pedestrian bridge
- Composites for hurricane and storm protection
- Opportunities with emerging materials – nanomaterials and emerging products
- Recycled plastics, green and sustainable materials applications