Research Supervisor I
Department of Mechanical, Aerospace and Biomedical Engineering
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- 1321 white avenue
- Phone: 8659749310
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Department Website
- Master of Sustainability (MSUS), Chatham University 2016
- Bachelor of Science (Bsc. in Environmental Science, Chemistry and Zoology), St. Joseph's College (Autonomous) 2014
Komal Kooduvalli's research focuses on performing Embodied Energy (EE) calculations and Life Cycle Assessments (LCAs) for products and processes designed and prototyped at The University of Tennessee, Oak Ridge National Laboratory and IACMI, in conjunction with several industry partners. Her expertise in sustainability has brought in new projects related to understanding degradation rates of biobased products and helped transition language and approach from traditional to green manufacturing.
One Random Thing about Komal: She can cook up a mean chai!
Calculating the Life Cycle Assessment of Recycled Composites
Degradation of First and Second Generation Bamboo-PLA in Industrial-scale Food and Manure Composting Facility
Impact of Manufacturing Processes on Composite Degradation in an Industrial Scale Composting Facility
The LCA of an Injection Molded Ice Scraper
Effects of degradation on Compostable K-cups in an Industrial Scale Composting Facility
Aug 2016 - Present:
Fibers and Composites Manufacturing Facility & Engineering Annex (FCMF) - University of Tennessee, Knoxville - Research Supervisor I
Oak Ridge National Laboratory - Research Associate
Institute for Advanced Composites Manufacturing Innovation - Energy Impact Analysis Specialist
Jan 2015-December 2015: Ethos Collaborative -Climate and Energy Analysis Intern
May 2014-June 2014: Fenfe Metallurgicals -Intern
April 2012-May 2012: Selco Solar Light Pvt. Ltd -Intern
Awards and Recognitions
Outstanding Technical Paper Award for CAMX 2018 under the Green & Sustainability track
Peer-reviewed Conference Proceedings:
Kooduvalli, K., Blue, G., Vaidya, U., Ozcan, S. (2018) Calculating the Embodied Energy of Recycled Composites. CAMX 2018 Proceedings, Dallas.
- Fox, Joseph R., Bassetti, Steve, Drzal, Lawrence, Stonecash, Jared, & Schell, Philip. Optimized Resins and Sizings for Vinyl Ester/Carbon Fiber Composites. United States. doi:10.2172/1461504.
- Brosius, Dale, & Deo, Ravi. Impact of Technology Developments on Cost and Embodied Energy of Advanced Polymer Composite Components. United States. doi:10.2172/1437162.
Kooduvalli, K., Sharma, B., Webb, E., Vaidya, U., & Ozcan, S. (2019). Sustainability Indicators for Biobased Product Manufacturing: A Systematic Review. Journal of Sustainable Development, 12(1), 55-83. doi:10.5539/jsd.v12n1p55
Certificate in Informal Experiential Education for Sustainability (Chatham University, 2015)